Friday, December 28, 2007

THe Impound Lot

I assumed that having my car stolen on Christmas was the pinnacle of events for the holiday season. I was so wrong.

The insurance guy called me on Wednesday morning to make arrangements for my car to be towed to a shop for estimates. He asked me to call the impound lot and get my car released for the tow truck driver. I called down to the lot, and they told me I had to go PAY and fill out some forms at the police station, conveniently located a mere 3 blocks from my house and the scene of the initial crime. So I dressed myself up in my winter clothes ( it was 20 degrees outside and snowing) and wandered down to the police station. When it was my turn, the woman took my case number and looked up a few things, then calmly said to me, "That will be $227." I, horrified and shocked, said, "Are you serious? I get my car stolen on Christmas and I get to pay to get my own property back?" She said, "Yes. That's how it works.", as she passed me a paper to call for an impound hearing. I then forked over all the money I had left in the world. She gave me a form, and I went outside to have another emotional crisis. I called the tow truck driver and explained that I had no way to meet him at the lot, and could he come get me since I had the paperwork he would need to tow the car. He didn't seem happy about it, but agreed to do it. I then called the city courts to schedule an impound hearing, and made an appointment for the next day at 9 A.M.

The truck driver appeared, and we went off to the lot. At this point, I'm really feeling like I've been repeatedly screwed without any Vaseline, and I've had about enough. After a few more forms, and a few unfriendly police workers, they led us into the lot to tow the car. The nice gentleman who showed us to the car did tell me that I was lucky the didn't burn it up. He had a whole row of burned up cars that had been stolen. I wonder if he realized he was not helping.

OK, I'd like to make a disclaimer at this point. I really don't mind being Hispanic most of the time, but when Hispanic people do things that make the rest of us look stupid, I have a problem with it. I assume only a Hispanic person would steal a Honda and then spray paint it with cheap white paint on the doors, mirrors, and license plates, and then realize there wasn't enough paint to do the whole car and add a couple of racing stripes to the hood. Not only that, but a window was broken, the hubcaps painted black, and the gas tank cover painted black. Hmm. Makes me wonder how the police officer noticed something off about the vehicle.

I took a couple photos with my camera phone, and went off with the tow truck to the repair place. At the repair shop, I heard about 2000 stories about stolen Honda cars. I love how everyone has a story to share. They did call a rental car company for me, and the fellow from Hertz had quite a sense of humor. He went with me to look at my car.

Somehow, whoever stole the car had time to take everything (including the trash) from the interior of the car and stowed it in the trunk. They ripped Sir Chomps-A-Lot (the guardian shark of the Honda) and threw him on the carpet, so I was able to save him. The back seat of the car was (and still is) filled with presents in various states of unwrapping, bags with ladies clothing, and boxes of who knows what. Its nice to know the police department has such a regard for others that they leave others stolen property in my vehicle. I guess fingerprinting is out of the question at this point.

Well, I am now set up with a rental car (thanks Progressive!). At least Hertz guy had a sense of humor when I asked him if this car had an alarm system, since he had seen what happens to them without one. Don't worry, the rental car has an alarm system as well as the engine lockout.

No comments: